Friday, January 5, 2007

The Requisite Letter to the Reader

Dearest Reader,

“Home is where the heart is, that’s what they always say. Then my heart lies in broken pieces scattered along the way”-Steve Earle

I’ve always thought that there was some great wisdom in those lyrics from country troubadour, Steve Earle. I haven’t traveled the world extensively, but I’ve tried my best to explore the U.S., even many of the parts that the left and right coasters have ignored. And I feel like there are little pieces of me in Green River, Wyoming and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, in London and Costa Rica, and of course in Glencoe, Illinois, New York, NY, and now maybe in Washington, D.C.

Issue 2 of Anecdotal Evidence takes on a far shorter, and more recent period of time than its predecessor did. It was also written while I was employed (and working ungodly hours, to boot) I’m not sure that it’s as good or as funny or outrageous as the first, but it’s the truth as I have experienced it, with a little hyperbole thrown in for good measure.

After college I went home to my parents. I didn’t follow through on my plan of traveling the country in my car. But, what I did do was something that scared the crap out of me. I moved to a new city which I had only visited as a tourist twice before and where I only knew 2 people. And I started a semi-adult life for myself.

So, this is for anyone who has ever done something that scared the crap out of them. And for anyone who hasn’t yet, I suggest that you do.

A.K. Gold
July 2002

No comments: