Saturday, December 30, 2006

II. The French Kicks


The first time I heard the French Kicks was when I saw them play a show in Chicago during the summer of 2001. Their performance was sandwiched between the art school/prep school rock of The Walkmen and Royal Trux-er Neil Michael Hagerty. The other two acts were good, but the French Kicks’ sound just made me so damn happy. It made me want to dance, it made me want to cheer, it made me want to kiss their bass player really badly.

As a side note, I should say that I am a total manizer (which was the only equivalent of a womanizer that I could come up with.) I like boys (a lot of them in bands), and I don’t really feel ashamed to admit it or comment on them. I mean come on, some boys play in bands just so chicks will dig them, and guitars are just monster fallices anyway, right? As I’ve explained to many a disgusted male rock fan before, I don’t like a band because a musician in it is hot. I like a band because they make good music, if they have a hot member that’s just an added perk.

After smiling straight through the Kicks’ live performance in Chicago, I immediately went out and acquired both of their EPs which proved to be just as solid and fun as their live performance. I spent the next couple of months praising their jangly guitar rock both verbally and in print as well as asserting the band’s physical cuteness.

When I returned to New York City, I kept a watchful eye out for live performances. The College Music Journal Music Marathon was rescheduled, as a result of the events of September 11th (more on that experience later), for mid-October. With the country still uneasy and many a band unable to work around their tour schedules, the festival took on a more New York-based feel, highlighting some of the best music my fair city had to offer.

So, on the first night, the French Kicks along with four or five other bands, rocked out on the stage of the Knitting Factory main space. I attended along with my friend Tania who after listening to my endless praise of the Kicks, encouraged me to go up and chat with the band, or more pointedly Lawrence, the bass player for whom I harbored a seventh grade crush.

Now for all my experience attending shows and interviewing bands, I have never felt comfortable with approaching a band after a set. So, despite my love of Lawrence, I was too much of a scaredy cat to approach him to say a ridiculously lame sentiment like “nice set”.

I was even too much of a wimp to ask Josh Wise, one of the band’s guitarists, for the set list he was about the throw away. Fortunately, Tania had the guts and saved it from the trash can.

The evening was still young and a couple of other bands went on to play amusing sets. In addition, folks at the show were nice, and once again I found the ubiquitous Robert Christgau (rock writer extraordinaire for the The Village Voice) standing right beside me. To further support my chicken-livered trend of the night, I was too scared to tell him how much I respected his work.

The show ended and around 1:30 a.m. I was standingupstairs in the lobby of the Knitting Factory while Tania was downstairs using the ladies’ room. Leaning against the wall, bleary-eyed and tired, I watched Lawrence (yes the Lawrence) ascend the stairs and he was looking at me. Probably because I was staring at him. I mustered up the courage as he approached, smiled and said, “You guys sounded really good tonight.” He stopped dead in his tracks, shyly smiled and asked, “You stuck around for our set?” I laughed a bit and excitedly replied, “stuck around for it?! I came here tonight to see you guys play!” He looked genuinely psyched. I went on to say “I caught you all in Chicago this summer and I went out and bought both EPs.” Now he was just plain shocked and we preceded to chat for a couple of minutes about the tour with Neil Michael Hagerty, future touring plans and the forthcoming full length.

As Tania ascended the stairs, he realized that she was the friend that I was waiting for and added, “well, we’ll be playing in New York more in November. You should really come to the shows. It’d be cool to see you there.” I told him that I would keep an eye out and thanked him again for a great set. Tania and I left the Knitting Factory giggling like thirteen year olds as she inquired about Lawrence and my wedding plans.

No comments: