Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Interview

I had lunch with my friend Amanda before I headed down to the office of the non-profit organization that I was interviewing at. She had a look of semi-shock when I met her near the Metro station dressed to the nines in a black suit and red shirt. My hair was even brushed.
After lunch and a shoe change in the U.S. Postal Museum which was located across the street from the office I was interviewing at, I entered the 2 employee (and one intern) office of the organization. I was interviewed by three men: the associate director, the executive director and the founder/president.

I don’t recollect everything that I said during the 45 minute question and answer session, but I immediately knew, upon meeting the president, that I didn’t like him. He was a certain type of man, a type of man that past experience had proved I didn’t like. I had friends who had fathers like him, the neurotic, obnoxious, bright Jewish man who has no sense of tact or appropriateness. Throughout the meeting, he phrased questions in such a way to garner critical, sometimes combative answers. Or maybe that was just my personality shining through.

The position I interviewed for was for an associate director of membership and events. Mr. President asked me about my ability to and experience in organizing and running events. After giving a response about being flexible and sensitive to people who are used to being coddled (a lesson that this individual had obviously never learned) he followed up with another question. He looked at me and said, “well I’m sure you do quite well with the VIP individuals, but what about the guy who is in charge of the sound system who doesn’t want to be there and isn’t doing his job.”

I don’t think I thought before I responded, but from my mouth tumbled the response, “I think your first problem would be going into a situation with the assumption that a person isn’t there to do his or her job. If you assume the worst in a person, if you don’t respect their abilities, of course they won’t do their job. I surely wouldn’t.”

I looked up at the President and recognized disdain in his face. I looked at the other two men and after a moment, a giant grin spread across the executive director’s face. Someone was in my corner.

No comments: