Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Bash

When I first moved into the house on S Street, NW, my four roommates (Dom, Jeremy, Summer, and Erin) were so pleased to have me because they had truly despised their last roommate and her dog who had peed all over the upstairs carpet. And living together is like being in a romantic relationship, there is always a honeymoon, a time when you hang around with one another all the time and enjoy each other’s company. About three weeks after I moved into the house, we had a big house party in honor of Summer’s getting into grad school and Erin’s friend’s birthday, and welcoming me. We had cake and 7 layer dip and 2 kegs and loads of liquor and during the course of the epic evening, probably 70 or so people enjoyed the festivities. It was a real bash.

The hilarious thing about parties is that they always end the same way. Most people leave when the booze is gone, but there are always a group of people (usually people that no one who is hosting the party really knows) who hang out listening to loud music into the wee hours of the night. In my experience, this usually also entails the hosts nodding off on some couch or in some corner waiting for the unknown guests to leave so they can go to bed only to wake up to a massive hangover and a house in need of extensive cleaning.

This bash was no exception. At about 4 a.m. a group of kids were hitting around a balloon in the virtually empty downstairs of our house as Summer and I kept each other awake and Dom slept beside us. I was relieved when they left and I climbed the stairs before almost stumbling
upon some people sleeping up there.

I was about to walk into my room when I realized that there was someone in there. Well, not someone, someones. To be polite, and to avoid the embarrassing situation of walking in on a twosome (or possibly more than a twosome) going at it, I knocked on the door. But, instead of answering, someone got up off of my bed and tried to close my bedroom door on me. I yelled out the most obvious reaction ever, “hey, that’s my room! Don’t close the door on me!”

I heard the voice of my roommate Erin whine, “but, someone’s in my room!”

I couldn’t believe that she actually uttered the words with a straight face, even if she was drunk and in hazy make out phase. I replied with a matter of fact reply, “that’s not my problem.”

She looked embarrassed as she led some random dude (there were a lot of random dudes with Erin) out of my room. The first moment the whole thing pissed me off…the next I was downstairs telling Summer what had happened and we were laughing at how ridiculous it was.
I retreated back up the stairs and changed into pajamas. I planned to use the bathroom cause I really had to go after a long evening of partying. The house was set up so the bathroom that Erin and I shared was the only one that was out in a common area. Both Jeremy’s bathroom and the one that was in Dom & Summer’s room were not accessible. When I walked down the hall to the bathroom, I realized that there was no chance that I was going to get to use it. Locked inside was my displaced roommate and the random dude that she was making out with that night. The moral victory gave way to the biological loss.

No comments: